Frank Renfrow Piano Tuner-technician
A Very Fine Example of 18th Century Neoclassical Art
FRANK RENFROW PIANO TUNER-TECHNICIAN
YES I STILL DO PIANO TUNINGS! (this posted summer of 2016)
I HAVE NO PLANS TO RETIRE!
Best way to reach me is by email at
2nd Best way to reach me is to text or call my cell phone at:
If you call me I may not answer my phone immediately
but will endeavor to answer your voicemail message
as soon as possible.
- Serving Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.
- Now celebrating 42 years in the profession
- 11 years with Baldwin Piano Company in Cincinnati, now independent.
- Steinway dealership trained with state and federal certification.
- EXPERT PIANO TUNING
- REPAIRS, minor repairs and adjustments including:
- pitch raises, action adjustments, action regulation, individual string replacements and pedal adjustments. Experienced in all facets of both vertical and grand piano regulation and repairs.
- INCORPORATING a lifetime of experience in diagnosing and resolving problems with sticking and sluggish keys.
Pianos for sale:
- PIANOS FOR SALE - I am now closing out my Antique Steinway Piano, Pianoforte and Fortepiano collection of considerable historic interest. I have only small number of pianos left in my collection, and I can give interested buyers, very good deals on these!
- You can find the pianos I currently have for sale at: Antique Steinway Pianos & Early Pianofortes for sale
cincinnati piano tuner northern kentucky piano tuner technician service repair N KY piano Cincy piano Cinti piano Cinci piano Fort Thomas piano N KY Fort Mitchell piano N KY Anderson Twp piano OH Hyde Park piano OH Hebron piano N KY Burlington piano N KY Union piano N KY Clermont piano OH Indian Hill piano OH Montgomery piano OH Cold Spring piano N KY Terrace Park piano OH Independence piano N KY
A George III Art Case Piano Forte in the neoclassical style: Features a fine Vernis Martin lid painting of the Goddess Athena attended by the Three Muses. Depicted from left to right are Melete strumming the lyre, Athena at rest with helmet and shield, Mneme memorizing verse and Aeode with lyre in hand. This is an exquisite example of neoclassic allegorical painting, very skillfully executed in a similar style to that of Angelica Kauffman (1741-1807).
The nameboard inscription reads:
" Jas Longman / No. 26 / Cheapside, London."
1790s rare Geo III Piano Forte in a fine art case: This is an incredibly fine piece of late 18th century artwork in a piano forte case. This was originally a five octave instrument but the piano parts have been removed from the interior, except for the genuine whalebone damper springs, nut and hitchpin block.
The case and lid parts are completely intact and have not been cut or modified like many of these that have been converted into a desk or sideboard. This would be the perfect art case to fit a keyboard, action and soundboard right into. The case is in fine shape with no warpage, the interior wood all appears clean and fresh.
This pianoforte came to me fitted with a James Longman nameboard, but this appears to be the result of a later "marriage" and does not appear to be original with the piano. It is however a fine piece of artwork in its own right. Measurements and the inlay of the keywell sides would indicate that this piano forte is from the early 1790s, however the nameboard appears to be from the late 1790s.
There is a very similarly decorated but five and a half octave Goulding, D'almaine and Potter in the Belle Skinner collection, so it is possible that this piano is an earlier Goulding creation but this would take some sleuthing to try to positively identify the maker.
Athena and the Three Muses
Here are some thoughts on the artwork on the 1790s George III Art Case Piano Forte. Careful analysis indicates that the theme of the lid painting was based on the Hendrick van Balen (1575-1632) pianting, Minerva (Athena) and the Nine Muses".
Athena with Muse detail from the George III Art Case Piano Forte (circa 1790s).
Similar detail of Athena and Muse from the van Balen work.
Text or Call Frank Renfrow at 859-653-1460
This is a very rare and precious early keyboard instrument case of highest museum quality.
This 1790s rare Geo III Piano Forte fine art case is no longer available.
Call Frank Renfrow at 859-431-1588